Wednesday, February 17, 2010

This isn't wine but it's a beer you might want to try. Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout

In my own way, I'm gradually exploring what I want to do here with my small parcel of the information superhighway.What I thought I'd do today is share a beer with you that I've come to love over the past few months. I first visited Ballast Point in October or November of 2009, but have been drinking their superb beers for a number of years. Today, I worked early in the morning, then after I was off decided I should celebrate my weekend (I have Thursdays and Fridays off) by drinking my last Sea Monster that I'd bought in December or January. While tweeting with my friend Suzie about her new blog (coming soon!), I figured why not branch off a bit and explore what I can do with a beer review?

So here we go!
Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout
(img credit Christopher @ picasaweb)

Since this is a beer, not a wine, I think the way I describe the tastes and scents will be different. First off, it's a stout, that means it's a dark, serious beer. In the glass it's nearly impossible for light to pass through the brew. That's big beer, good stuff that's got lots of different flavors. Some of the things my nose picked out were cola, mocha, dark chocolate and maybe some super dark fruit. Maybe blackberries or blueberries, I can't be certain at this point. On the palate you get bitter baking chocolate, creamy malt, vanilla, coffee and some darker, earthy notes. In short, it's pretty awesome stuff. This beer has tons of flavor but in a complex way, that is to say that you can discern a lot of tastes. It is dark, intense, and brooding but has life to it, a vibrant, hoppy characteristic. Basically, I think it begs to be consumed out of an ice cold pint glass, to be savored, not chugged. I'm happy to admit it took me over an hour to finish off the 22oz. bottle and I savored every sip. 

If I have to use my scale to rate this beer, it would easily get an A. It was delicious, chewy beer that I enjoyed immensely. If you see it at your local bottle shop, pick up a few bottles and enjoy them through the year. If you're into pairing beers with food, like I am, try this with something spicy like teriyaki beef kabobs or carne asada. I bet you'll find it a wonderfully delicious combination of flavors and textures. Thanks for taking the time to read this blog, I always appreciate the feedback.  Here's to drinking great wine and great beer.

Beau Carufel

No comments:

Post a Comment