Sunday, March 7, 2010

White Burgundy!!! (not Ron Burgundy!) Yea it's that awesome.

It was my birthday the other day....
.....
....
...
......

Ok, you may stop clapping and wishing me the best for my 27th year.

Beyond that bout of silliness, the best thing about my 27th birthday was the opportunity to try a wine that I actually have a connection to. My dear old Dad (he's not that old, sorry Dad!) knows the proprietors of this fine little winery, having picked there in the late 70's and kept up his correspondence (go Dad!!!) with them throughout my life.

2006 Domaine A. et P. De Villaine Les Clous Cote Chalonnaise Bouzeron


In all honesty I should just give you the score, a solid A, straight away. Why? It's that delicious and that supremely satisfying. Really, it's everything I want in a Chardonnay, I don't know how else to put it but I'll do my best. Each sip was marvelous, and left me wanting the next sip and the next sip. I noticed bright green apple, delicate florals, soft butter notes, ripe pear, minerality, and acidity all beautifully integrated. It reminded me of how the word "seamless" can define a wine so exquisitely. All the flavors I tasted flowed into each other, they transitioned from one to another in ways we hope for every time we open a bottle. It's like watching a great double play in baseball, second to short to first. There's almost a poetry to it, but our secret is we know exactly how it should look, how it should feel. This is what made the wine absolutely sublime. It was chilled, that left the finish to taper off across your palate, a final gentle wisp of butter and apricots as you readied yourself for the next taste.

In short, I loved this wine, absolutely. If I could afford it, I'd buy a case or more and drink it every single time I wanted a Chardonnay to pair with my meals, or just because I felt like Chardonnay. Should you? My answer is yes, by all means. I think it retails for about $30 a bottle, I didn't pay for this but had I shelled out 30 bucks, I'd have been more than thrilled with it. It's worth every cent. Kermit Lynch imports this gorgeous wine, if you can't find it in your local store, I recommend contacting his company and asking them where to find it. If you're in the San Diego area, definitely check out The Wine Connection and make sure you talk to Marwan or David. I'm all about supporting our local wine shops and these guys were cool enough to donate this bottle. I want to say thank you to my Dad for sharing this with me, wines like this continue to stoke my passion for what we love to drink.

Beau Carufel

1 comment:

  1. Beau,

    Glad you liked this one! That acid/mineral/fruit/low or no oak profile of most of these wines makes them a very special category. You've done a very good job of articulating the specifics of just why this wine was a pleaser. Thanks for the plug for the shop!

    ReplyDelete