Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Win Tickets to the ZAP Tasting in San Francisco!

(img src: zinfandel.org)




Happy New Year! To start 2012 off right, I have some tickets to the ZAP, that's Zinfandel Advocates and Producers, festival in San Francisco from January 26-28. It's a big, three day Zinfandel extravaganza where most of California's zin producers come to share their wines with the public. Tickets can be pricey but with a few minutes work here on this blog, you could win a set!

You could win these tickets a few ways, all zinfandel-related. In the comment section, I'd like to hear a bit about why you want to go, why you like zinfandel, your favorite producer, something about zinfandel wine. You could also include favorite food pairings, who has the best zinfandel wine list in the country, or even give a list of zinfandel producers to visit. Each comment is going to count as one entry, and there is one comment per person allowed.

Now, to clarify: You are entirely responsible for getting to San Francisco and surviving for the time you're there. I am merely awarding tickets to the winner of this little contest. To further clarify, I have two (2) sets of tickets to give away. That means there will be two (2) winners chosen. The sets of tickets are one for the Epicuria and one for the Grand Tasting. The winners will then receive two (2) tickets for that event. It is critical that you specify which tickets you'd like to win when you enter this contest!

In the interest of fair play, please don't try to win unless you're certain you can make it to the tasting. There are currently 22 days before the ZAP Festival, this contest will run for 14 days, until the 18th. On the 18th or 19th I will email the winners (so include some contact information!) and ask you what tickets you want.

This contest is open to anyone over 21 years of age and is void where prohibited by law. Failure to respond to my notification email within 24 hours means you forfeit the set of tickets.

These are the two events you could win tickets to:

(img src: zinfandel.org)
Thursday January 26:
Epicuria: Food & Zinfandel Pairings, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m., at The Concourse (635 8th Street at Brannan, San Francisco 94103-4901). Discover the diversity: take your palate on a culinary adventure as you discover the diversity of Zinfandel and its wide range of complementary flavor combinations. This informal dine-around expedition features pairings of 50 top Zinfandel wines with creations from master chefs in the ZinKitchen. Mingle with winemakers and epicurean experts as you take a sensual journey.
The teams will be Artezin Wines paired with Kollar Chocolates; B.R. Cohn Winery paired with Preferred Sonoma Caterers; Calstar Cellars paired with Cabot Creamery; Claudia Springs Winery paired with Pacific Catch; D-Cubed Cellars paired with A-16; Dogwood Cellars paired with Sift Cupcake; Four Vines paired with City College of San Francisco; Gamba Vineyards and Winery paired with ESTATE; J. Dusi paired with First Crush; Klinker Brick Winery paired with Fifth Floor; Ledson Winery & Vineyards paired with Centre du Vin at the Ledson Hotel; Mazzocco Winery paired with Radio Africa Kitchen; McCay Cellars paired with Wine & Roses; Outpost Wines paired with Mustards Grill; Peachy Canyon Winery paired with Swan Oyster Depot; R&B Cellars paired with Paul's Paella; Ravenswood paired with Central Market; Rock Wall Wine Co paired with Angela's Bistro; Selby Winery paired with Bocanova; St. Francis Winery paired with Executive Chef David Bush; Starry Night Winery paired with Il Davide Restaurant; Terra d'Oro Winery paired with Taste; Three Wine Company paired with The Fairmont; Trentadue Winery paired with Sarah's Forestville Kitchen and Tres Sabores Winery paired with Dean and Deluca.

(img src: zinfandel.org)
Saturday January 28:
Grand Tasting: From A To Zin, 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. at The Concourse.
From A to Zin: savor the journey through the world’s largest single varietal tasting as you explore hundreds of barrel samples and new releases. Meet winemakers from different Zinfandel growing regions and explore the dimensions of this authentically American varietal at the most comprehensive showing of Zinfandel wineries in the world. You can also experience the Grand Tasting by using ZAP’s ZinTracks ‘map’--- a way to choose one path through the Tasting and build your knowledge. ZinTracks will illuminate the many distinguishing features of Zinfandel----whether it’s why Dry Creek appellation Zins share a certain taste profile…or even just the fun of how many Zinfandel winemakers have red hair! A key part of The Grand Tasting is the role of Zinfandel as America’s “Heritage Wine.”

Either of those sound like they'd be awesome to attend, and I admit I'm a bit jealous of whomever wins, I'll be stuck up in Oregon shivering away! Winning is so easy too, why not take a minute to comment and start 2012 off with an epic wine tasting? If you do, take a lot of pictures and let us know who your favorite producers are. Good luck!

Beau Carufel

13 comments:

  1. I've attended the ZAP tasting a few times in the past and it's always a good time so I'd like to go again. It's always fun to explore and discovery new wines that become favorites. I like zinfandel because it's peppery and spicy - it has spunk like me. My favorite zin is the Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin. I love it with lamb and pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to attend the Grand Tasting! I'm guessing it will be Zintastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel super blessed to live in ZIN-country! I am surrounded by so many regions that grow ZIN...and I even converted my ex to a ZIN lover. Too bad he's drinking alone now. LOL The Grand Tasting is fantastic - I want to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those of you updating, don't forget to give me a way to contact you, either via email or Twitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being from SF, I feel spoiled that ZAP is held in my beautiful city.

    My favorite zin pairing is with a medium rare Kobe Beef Burger served with truffle infused french fries.

    The Epicuria event on Thu, Jan 26 intrigues me the most.

    Randy Fong
    randyfong (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Zinfandel's bold, jammy, spicy flavor profile. It pairs well with food and can be quite affordable. Some of my favorites are Ridge, Renwood, Bray Vineyards, Roche & Dancing Bear. I live in SF and would LOVE to nosh & sip my way through Epicuria. Thank you for this opportunity!
    @LisaSaysLook2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I please change my entry to win tickets for Saturday's Grand Tasting? Thank you, @LisaSaysLook2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure Lisa, consider your entry changed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beau, you should check out Auriga Zin up in the Sierra Foothills. Some years it is quite tasty and has garnered a bunch of medals. I'd love to go to the Epicuria event. My tastes run toward the bigger jammier Zins, but I do have a budding taste for the more balanced Zins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coming to this blog. There is always new information on wines and brings together people who love all types of wine together to discuss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Beau, did you already announce the winners for the ZAP Festival tickets? I still have my fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lisa, I did already announce the winners, via email. Thanks for entering, sorry you didn't win!

    ReplyDelete