Friday, January 14, 2011

2007 Robert-Denogent Macon-Fuisse Les Taches

Admittedly I'm a sucker for Burgundies. Best chardonnays on the planet, in my opinion. The implication there is that it's difficult to retain a sense of impartiality whenever I taste wines from that region. The (not so) consummate professional in me struggles with the gleeful, excited side of me that can't wait to taste a wine I know I'll love.

I bought this wine for $25 from WineLibrary.com about a month and a half ago. Usually I avoid buying wine online because the shipping charges are expensive, especially from the East Coast to San Diego. Luckily for me though, free shipping was offered on any purchase, for a limited time. Not wanting to (ok I really did want to) spend a ton of money on a lot of wine, I resolved to buy a couple of bottles of wine and have it shipped cross country, during the "snowpocalypse" to my warm apartment.

After relaxing in my wine fridge for a few weeks, it was time to put up or shut up. I was cooking again last night. There was sweet potato gnocchi with butter and sage, garlic-herbed-chicken, sauteed spinach, and a bowl of sauteed cabbage, green onion, red onion, sun-dried tomato and garlic. This wasn't complex but it was tasty and paired extremely well with the Macon-Fuisse.
You can find the gnocchi at Trader Joe's in the frozen section, it's ridiculously good stuff. The rest of it was all made from scratch, just to see how all the flavors would go together. Next time I will be using less sun-dried tomato in order to concentrate more on the herbs and vegetal flavors of the spinach, onions and cabbage.


The Robert-Denogent had a classic nose of flowers, lemon custard, lime juice and wet rock. Bingo! We're in olfactory heaven with this. I will say, if you enjoy chardonnay from California, do yourself a favor and check out a few from France. You can find some inexpensive examples from Macon, Chablis and Beaune. No need to spend a lot of money on a Chassagne-Montrachet or a Puligny wine.

My tasting notes for the 2007 Robert-Denogent are here: "what an approach! glides into your mouth like a grand dame making an entrance in an evening gown, then that gown comes off and a modern, chic dress is underneath. Replete with acidity and structure while retaining curves in all the right places. Beautifully put together!"

I hope that sounds good to you. A- and a STRONG Buy recommendation. For $25, I feel that the 2007 Robert-Denogent Macon-Fuisse Les Taches delivers above it's price point. Try a bottle or three, especially if you're planning on cooking trout or sea bass. Hell, this stuff could kill it with fish sticks!

Beau Carufel

No comments:

Post a Comment